Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Proofreading Pays It Forward

We are currently looking for office staff. Since Lauren's gone to college, it's Dermot and myself holding down the fort. And it's busy.
We are always looking for sales staff for selling advertising.

Recently we hosted several advertisements for the openings on job sites.

What amazed me is the amount of responses filled with typos, spellings and poor writing. If I'm not mistaken, the number of poorly constructed responses is increasing. Why?

In my past life, I have been a substitute teacher and in my schooled life, I'm a technical writer. Both have a penchant for teaching others. So when I review responses to job postings, I am eager to alert the person to their mistakes. There was a time I would open every email and every CV. At minimal, I send a confirmation of receipt every time.

Now, if there is one wrong spelling, a lowercase that should be uppercase or a glaring typo, I simply delete the email. One button and it possibly changes the direction of someone's life. I feel some guilt.


As a result, my own emailing and texting has become sharpened. Friends or colleagues frequently get abbreviated, noncapitalised, unpuncutated responses, saving my time--but possibly increasing their time in deciphering my message.


Now, the time I save deleting poor responses, I pay that time forward by composing better responses in my own communication.

Oops! Time's up and there's still a heap of CVs to review.

3 comments:

Jodi said...

Uh-oh, Sherry, I see a typo: "unpuncutated." Not trying to be critical, I miss plenty myself, but I know what you mean. Even the daily newspaper I get is filled with them, more than ever before it seems. Maybe too much texting and tweeting going on?

Anonymous said...

Your blog provided us with valuable information to work with. Each & every tips of your post are awesome. Thanks a lot for sharing. Keep blogging.. Resume Editing Services

Ellen said...

The incorporation of ATS can help you review the CV submitted