Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Hollywood Fair

This weekend our photo opportunity traveled back in time.

This the Annual Hollywood Fair in County Wicklow--one of the best if you ask me!

Where the dress is pre 1950s and livestock roam the grounds.



Food is on the grill. What's an Irish barbeque without potatoes? Check out the potato-filled crates!



A little story about Hollywood, the one in California and in the Republic of Ireland (FYI, there's also a Hollywood in Northern Ireland.) My maternal grandparents are from Hollywood, California. (In fact, my great grandfather is Harry Davenport, Doctor Meade in Gone with the Wind, and my grandfather was the one-armed soldier turned away by Scarlett O'Hara. There's media trivia for you! )




Across the pond, my future husband's paternal family was also being raised in Hollywood--this one in County Wicklow.

Taking in the infamous sign on the hill, below, one difference in our Hollywoods is whether the sheep are grazing.




No comments: