Thursday, February 9, 2012

Greetings for Heart Day



We love to decorate for holidays. Show your love for Valentine's Day with a greeting banner.

All you need is:

Scraps 4" or larger; (try orphan blocks, we did!)
buttons
Contrast scraps for letters
fusible web
pinking shears
1. Simply cut the larger scraps into bunting flags. You can do this by cutting 4" wide strips. Cut strips vertically, at an angle to create flags. (In my home, we have 7 and 8 year olds helping, so in fairness, our cuts are very organic. You could be scientific and measure the correct angle of degrees of each cut for exact and consistent sizing.

We advise using pinking sheers, if at all possible. The pinking edge eliminates frayed edges. (With straight blades, the raw edges will ravel. To avoid raveling, the bunting flags should be topstitched or twosided with seams--both increases workload.) I love pinking sheers for this reason. In fact, we have a rotary pinking blade and it is brillant!

Align your banner's flags according to fabric contrast. Light, dark, light order will be the best contrast.
2. Create letters for HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY, one letter for each flag.

Draw fat letters, reverse direction, on the glue side of fusible web. Again, our designwork here is very organic. For perfect typeset, consider drawing or using letter templates using mirrored type by tracing in reverse using a light box, or copier if available.

3. Follow manufacturer's directions for fusible web, and apply each letter to the center of flag.

4. Connect flags by sewing buttons.


5. Hang and celebrate!

Don't forget to bring in your own creativity. I made my own Valentines to give to my friends.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Heya i am for the primary time here. I found this board and I to find It really helpful
& it helped me out much. I am hoping to offer one thing back and help others such as you helped me.
Also visit my blog post ... iphone